From: vegard@engen.priv.no [mailto:vegard@engen.priv.no]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 4:33 PM
To: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How to avoid port scanners

Well. You *could* in theory, I guess, implement something that firewalled
a specific host totally once you discovered that it was in the process of
portscanning. This is not that straightforward, though, and not foolproof,
but you might prevent some portscanning-attacks from discovering your
services,
and failing that due to race conditions (i.e. port 25 already having been
tried before your system blocked the ip-adress), maybe it would be blocked
before it started hammering exploits against it.

I have never tried something like this, though.

- Vegard

listmaster@lists.debian.org

--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.