Re: How to avoid port scanners

That doesn't seem possible to me. NMAP uses, at least for its
SYN/connect() type scans the same sequence of packets that your mail
software would have to use, so if you block one sequence of packets, they
are going to be blocked regardless of the place they are coming from.

To achieve a similar result, try:
(1) if you are going to be sending mail from a limited set of IP
addresses, try filtering all traffic to that port, except your
"semi-trusted" hosts. This isn't perfect, but will avoid casual scans.

(2) better yet, set up a VPN between your trusted hosts and your mail
server and you don't need to have a port open for the public internet.