Re: Ip_forward trouble

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Thomas Cook wrote:

> Ok, I think we're starting to home in on an understanding.
>
> I understand the necessity to harden the firewall and the servers behind it,
> and this task is most defiantly on the list.  I am using the Debian potato
> 2.2 stock kernel, and thus ipchains.  Constructing these rules is not a
> problem.  I think I have a good understanding of the syntax, and have used
> scripts in the pat to construct working models.
>
> My main problem is with the availability of internet access behind the
> firewall.  With all firewall rules disabled (input output and forward all
> set to ACCEPT) I can't get a test box behind the firewall to see the
> firewall or any Ethernet signal on the network line.  With the settings I
> have described, when I plug a line from the internal adapter of the firewall
> to the NIC of the Win2k test box, I expect to see the link light to come on,
> the network indicator in the system tray to so a connection, and to be able
> to ping the firewall from the test box, but I am not.  As far as I can tell,
> there is no Ethernet signal coming form the firewall to service the internal
> network.  This is my problem.
>
> Is there a setting I have forgotten, a service I should be running, a
> configuration I am missing?  I have a base potato install, have changed the
> ipforward flag in /etc/network/options installed the second NIC in
> /etc/network/interfaces and reset the network.  I have set the win2k box
> Tcp/Ip settings with the firewall as the gateway and given it an ip in the
> firewall's range.  I have flushed the firewall rules and made them all
> ACCEPT.  I even put a whimsical penguin sticker on the side of the firewall
> but strangely with no effect! What am I missing?

Is that interface really up?

(Use ifconfig to see that)

If you have several interface than this could be confusing. Go over the
list of eth interfaces that are up and verify that all of them are what
you think that they are.

What is the physical connection between the two computers? Is there a hub
or a swtich in the middle? Has it worked before?

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il