Re: How-to modify /etc/init.d/networking for stopping IPTables?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:37:30 -0700
Stefan Srdic <linuxbox@telusplanet.net> wrote:

(First: Please don't CC: people on replies for a Debian list, unless
they've asked you to :) It's generally considered a bit rude.)

> Thanks to your guidance I got half of my problems solved!! I'm going
> to use a post-down script to "reset" IPtables to it's default values.

Good to hear, good to hear.

> However, when I try to remove the ip_tables kernel module I get a
> "ip_tables: Device or resource busy" error message from the kernel.
> How can I safely remove all IPtables modules from a running kernel?

Hmm... You know, I've never tried? I wonder if it's even possible. If
all the rules have been deleted, all the non-builtin chains have been
deleted, all the built-in chains have their default policy reset, and
all the interfaces are down(excepting, I guess, lo/127.0.0.1), will it
still not allowed itself to be removed?

If that's the case, then I guess it's a limitation of the code.

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \