Ip_forward trouble

Greetings all.  I am trying to build a firewall, and I am running into a
little trouble, hope you can help.

What for:
This firewall is to divide a section of my LAN from there other computers.
The external addresses are in the 192.168... Range, the internal will be in
the 10.0... Range.

What I have:
Pentium base with 2 3c509's.  Most basic Potato install (no x, no dev, no
nothing).

What's wrong:
The problem I continue to encounter is that the firewall will not allow
traffic to flow through.  Here are the steps I have taken.

After initial install, I set up the second NIC in /etc/network/interfaces by
adding address, netmask, etc.  I then restarted the network
(etc/init.d/networking restart), with no errors.  I then changed the
ipforward flag in /etc/network/options from no to yes, restart network
again.  To make sure it worked I checked (more
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward) with a return of 1.

At this point, the primary NIC is connected to external network, working
(tested with ping), but a test box (win 2k, setup with firewall as gateway)
on the 2nd internal NIC can not ping the firewall and can not be pinged by
the firewall.

I tried flushing the ip_chains rules and making INPUT OUTPUT and FORWARD all
ACCEPT and nothing else, no luck.

I tried installing ipmasq (which I want to use once things are working
anyway) but also no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Tom