Re: Why all these unclean packets?

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> I have started seeing a lot of these dropped packets in my logs
> recently and can't figure out why they have started in such frequency.
> I have never seen such packets before. I notice that they start to
> occur after I do a bit of www surfing.

Sure. They are almost certainly packets that support ECN -- the
"unclean" match, which has sucked every time I looked at it, didn't
understand this recently and probably still doesn't in the official
kernel.

[...]

> Has anyone else noticed this?  Any ideas?

A number of people; it was a hot topic(tm) on the kernel mailing list
for a while with a few patches to fix it. You may want to dig around
there to find them...

...but you would be far better off dumping the "unclean" test entirely,
because it's not actually doing much for you.

        Daniel

--
If Americans can be divorced for "incompatibility of temper" I cannot conceive
why they are not all divorced. I have known many happy marriages, but never a