Weird SMTP problem?

Hi all,

Just experienced a very weird problem.

My Debian box has 2 NIC's: eth1 connects to the cable modem
and the outside world, eth0 connects to the Windoze boxen on my
LAN (192.168.1.0/8 - Masqueraded access to outside world.)

Yesterday I had a weird thing.  My Debian box could not connect
to my ISP's SMTP server - no response whatsoever.  What's weird
is I could connect to the same box on the same port from my
masqueraded Windoze boxes!!

Bringing the external ethernet interface down and back up again
fixed the problem - but why was it happening in the first place?

Has anybody else seen anything like this, or have any theories
as to what was going on?

Paul Haesler