bridging is not so good?

Hallo, in http://bridge.sourceforge.net/ i read:

<<Here you can find my rewrite of the linux ethernet bridging code. I
(Lennert Buytenhek) rewrote the linux bridging code over the last few months
because the old code was a big mess and nonextensible.>>

 Mhh...  all patches found are for 2.2.x kernel series; I'd like to update to
2.4.10 but it seems not to support bridging.

 My goal is to build a firewall without changing all-hosts configurations, I
already use an old 2.2.17 bridge for it. But for upgrading, perhaps it could
be done using iptables with Nat?

Thank you!
Marco marco@taffi.it