RE: need iptables firewall

-----Original Message-----
From: James B. Wilkinson [mailto:jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 8:39 AM
To: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org
Subject: need iptables firewall

> Could somebody point me to where I should start reading?

I'll try to help. When I came to the new job, I started Debian from the zero
point.
But I liked it from the very beginning. And that's why - almost all
documentation
I ever needed is located in /usr/share/doc/HOWTO. Try it and probably you'll
find it useful.

> It looks like I need to know how to replace a kernel ...

This is not a very difficult task at all as its details fully described in
"kernel howto".
All you need is to obtain kernel source from kernel.org,
configure it (see howto's and built-in help) using one of three frontends
(make config or make menuconfig or make xconfig (or some kind of it - not
sure,
see howto)). Then you need to upgrade 2 libraries - modutils (to v.2.4.6-2)
and
util-linux ( to v.2.10s-1) if you are going to use modules. These ones are
available in debs on debian.org. (I found them there :)

> ...and how to set up and configure iptables.
This can be done after reading Rusty Russel's
"network packet filtering" and other howtos. Find them on
"netfilter.samba.org".

Good luck!