Re: Linksys, ipchains/iptables and Apache

* Robb Kidd (rkidd@ncmec.org) [010717 14:40]:
> 	I'm tinkering with a setup at home. I am currently using a Linksys
> BEFSR41 4-port Cable/DSL router to share my cable service and have port
> 80 forwarded to a Debian potato box running Apache.  It seems obvious
> now, I suppose, but when reviewing my web logs, all connections are
> logged as coming from the Linksys' internal address.  It's not a busy
> site, but I'd like to keep track of who is connecting and I'd also like
> to get my hands dirty by setting up a firewall myself.
> 	Were I to replace the Linksys firewall/router with an ipchains (or
> iptables?? recommendations?) firewall on the web server, would the
> public source IPs of connections show up in Apache's logs?  I imagine
> that they would since web connections wouldn't be NAT'd/MASQ'd.
> 	For security's sake, if kept them seperate and ran the
> ipchains/iptables on a seperate box using port forwarding to the web
> server (using a private IP), would I have the same problem?
>
> 	Any advice or guidance is appreciated! Thanks.

I'm not at home right now, so I can't compare model numbers, but at
home we use my roommate's Linksys cable/DSL router. I have been able
to set up port forwarding very easily with it; you should be able to
have it do the same (no matter what port/protocol). It doesn't make
sense to me that your web logs show the internal address if port 80
were actually being forwarded; it seems that your router is somehow
proxying the requests. AFAIK, our linksys router isn't able to serve
as a web proxy, but is able to set up actual port forwards, like
you're looking to do with a debian router.

Try to see if what you're describing is really the case; I'm skeptical
that the router is serving as a proxy. I'll post again tomorrow from
home when I can verify that we're talking about the same hardware. If
not, and your router is indeed serving as a proxy, you should be able
to configure to do port forwarding instead, from the web interface.

Vineet