Links in rc2.d

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend I've been 'working' (it's been fun really, I think I
might have caught the linux bug) on my firewall project.  Among other
things issue.net no longer announces which OS the machine runs and I
have got ssh working instead of telnet.

Can someone tell me what the numbers after the S and K filenames mean in
directories such as rc2.d?  I thought it might dictate the order the
files are executed in but I think I have seen 2 in the same directory
with the same number, and why not just call them S1..., S2..., S3... in
that case.

TIA

Mike