Re: Changes to /etc/init.d/networking

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 06:22:53AM -0600, Stefan Srdic wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 03:42:32AM -0600, Stefan Srdic wrote:
> > >     echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> >
> > What sort of evil is this?
>
> Evil? I though ECN would be a good thing since my machine acts as a DNS server,
> SAMBA server and Masquerading server for a small LAN. Was I wrong in my
> assumtion?

Well, there's been a raging debate on linux-kernel about this. Basically,
some Cisco routers are broken, as the (outdated) RFC specified that this
field (the one for ECN) was "reserved", so Cisco took that to mean "must be
zero". Hence, when you turn ECN on, a lot of Cisco routers drop the packet -
including the ones for Hotmail, etc.

Hope this helps,
:) d

--