newbie networking

I am just beginning to learn about networking and have a couple of
questions I hope someone can help me with or point me in the right
direction. I have just setup a small ethernet and is basically functioning.
The server has a modem connection to the internet, and I have ipmasq setup
and running on it. The user box is able to connect to the internet without
any problem, provided that the server box is dialed in and connected.

I would like to be able to have the user box be able to make the dialup
connection using the modem on the server. Can this be done with a minimum
of security risk? What else do I need to configure to make this happen?:
enable login and shell services in the /etc/inetd.conf file, modify
/etc/hosts.allow, etc. on the server.

Using potato on server and unstable on user box, kernel 2.2.17, ipmasq on
server.

I am trying to learn, and learn how to do this correctly. Thanks in advance
any help/pointers. RTFM is fine if you can tell me which FM/section to
read.

mheyes