RE: UDP Forwarding & Ipchains

> So I open up the outgoing for each port ALL 3 rules.
> This works.
> Why do I need to open the outgoing, shouldn't
> my MASQ line cover that?

  You said you were using the strong ruleset...I don't know the rules in it
off the top of my head, but I'm betting it's only allowing commonly used
outbound services.  (http, dns, smtp, pop3, etc)

> ps... And what is DMZ?

DMZ, or De-Militarized Zone (taken from US military terminology) is a
section of your network that's protected by a firewall but has internet
routable IP addresses (or is statically NAT'ed) so that it can be reached
directly from the internet.  Many servers need this scenario, as you can't
access a system that is behind a hide-NAT.  (Or masquerading as it's
commonly called in the Linux world)

A common scenario is something like this:

                     ____________
			   |          |
                     | Internet |
                     |          |
                      ----------

                        ___________
                        |          |
                        |Firewall  |
                        |          |
                        -----------
                          |       |
                          |       |
                          |       |
                          |       |
                        _____    _______
                        |    |   |Priv.|        Private
                Public  |DMZ |   | LAN |  <--     IP
                 IP  -->|    |   |     |        Addressing  (ex. 10.1.1.x)
               Addressing-----   -------

All the servers in the DMZ have real internet IP addresses (or are directly
translated to them, which people like to do for some ridiculous reason,
possibly thinking it actually protects them) and the internet sees them as
such.  Everything in the office LAN is seen by the internet as one IP
address, just as your network behind your masquerading Linux firewall is
seen.

I hope this lengthy reply answers your question.  =)

Jason Mogavero
Sr. Network Engineer
Inflow, Inc
(303)942-2828