Re: good dau firwall (;

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Manfred Wassmann wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2001, Andreas Leitner wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there a .deb for a stable and reasonable safe firewall that is easy
> > to setup and maintain. I don't need to be able to controll all details,
> > instead a simply gui/web-interface around it would be neat.
> >
> > Something like firestarter or smoothwall.
>
> You can try my simplefirewall package currently from
> http://www.b.shuttle.de/ncc-1701/firewall/
>
> It uses a debconf interface for most of its configuration and if you set
> the debconf priority to critical you will only be asked to specify your
> network interfaces and their IP addresses and to select the services you
> want to allow from two lists, one for outbound and one for inbound
> connections.

just a comment, that maybe does not belong in -firewall :

All major distros have a simple firewall setup "upt-of-the-box". This
means that once the  installer is done, you also have some basic
packet-filtering rules to prevent world-accessto your unwanted ports etc.

Why should edbian be different?

Can this simplefirewall (or any similar package) be a required package?

Rational: The simple user does not need to understand all the internals of
TCP/IP just to be able to set-up some basic firewalling rules.
Furthermore, those basic rules better be setup before the user first
connects to the internet, if possible.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il