Re: Virus Checking on Firewall
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Virus Checking on Firewall
- From: "Josef Bergmann" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:10:45 +0200
- Message-id: <3BB22835.32648.23B8F25@localhost>
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
On 26 Sep 2001, at 9:50, Chad Morgan wrote:
> I was wondering what the best way (if any) of stopping email viruses
> through a firewall.
1) Setup qmail as mail-relay on the firewall (check qmail-scanner page for
2) Install and setup a virusscanner (see list on qmail-scanner page)
3) Install qmail-scanner http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/
> a) there is a way to scan all files that pass through the firewall
Every mail handelt by the smtp-relay will be scanned.
> b) possibly block out certain types of files but I don't really like
> this idea because it will block out legitimate attachments too.
Yes qmail-scanner can that (tracking on filetypes, subject ...)
> c) if anyone has a better idea.
No. Probably the transparent proxy-suite including virusscanning in
Linuxwall.de or the InterScan VirusWall from TrendMicro but both are not free
BERGMANN engineering & consulting http://bec.at/
The man who will use his skill and constructive imagination to see
how much he can give for a dollar, instead of how little he can
give for a dollar, is bound to succeed.
- Henry Ford