Re: FW: Firewall

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Antropov Anton wrote:

> >best to keep them as secure as possible), and ARE thus DISALLOWED TO
> >ESTABLISH ANY OUTGOING CONNECTION, to minimise the possible amount of
> >damage a break-in could cause.
>
> Sorry, what is purpose of this (see emphasized text)?
> May be disallowing relaying of any kind?

Exactly. If one of the servers is broken into by a malicious cracker,
he/she will be unable to use it to attack anything else, in my network or
elsewhere. Moreover, he/she cannot realise that he/she can't do it until
he/she tries, and this will trigger some alarms on the firewall (which is
a separate, completely stripped down system with no services and can be
accessed only by root on the console) and I will quickly know something is
wrong.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, giacomo.mulas@tin.it>

OSSERVATORIO  ASTRONOMICO
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)