Re: Firewall

* Tandex (tand3x@yahoo.com) [010820 18:39]:
> Do I need 2 net-card on linux-gateway that use ipmasq?

Nope.

But first some lecturing: like the other reply to your post said, don't
reply to an email unless you have something to say in reply to its
content. Really don't include quoted text unless it's directly relevant
to your reply. You had a one-line question but reposted 55 lines of
irrelevant quoted text.

Now on to my reply: the other reply to your question gave a wrong
answer. You do not need 2 NICs to route between 2 networks; there's
something called "one-armed routing" which makes use of IP aliasing,
which is giving a single NIC multiple addresses.

I'f you're running a 2.4.x kernel, it's easy. If you're running a 2.0.x
or 2.2.x kernel, you may need to ensure that it's either compiled into
your kernel or available as a module (called ip_alias.o). The specific
kernel compile-time option is CONFIG_IP_ALIAS. If you're using a stock
debian kernel, you're in business (it's compiled in).

The basic idea of aliasing is that you'll create virtual interfaces like
eth0:0 and eth0:1 Each of these can be configured like a regular
interface, but they all refer to the same physical NIC. You should see
interfaces(5) for more info on how to set them up.

By the nature of your question, though, it sounds like you're still at a
very early planning stage. The short answer is "no", and if you need
help setting it up when you get to that part, ask us for help.

Cheers

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.