Re: Bytes counter with iptables

I suggest to check net-acctd before giving suggestions to use it :) We
use both net-acctd and iptables rules on our router. The results from
both methods are the same, in byte.

Iptables accounting is much better method if you have heavy traffic on
your router because nacctd is user-space daemon which starts
accumulating cpu time when load goes up. When daemon is not able to
keep up with the traffic, it starts dropping packets, so the results
you get from it are incorrect. Iptables, however, never looses packets
because they are counted in kernel. The only problem is to write
suitable script which reads and stores the values.

Of course, in order to get useful data out of log files generated by
nacctd you need helper utils, too.

bye,
Kresimir