Re: expected load?

On Sun, 08 Jul 2001, Asher Densmore-Lynn wrote:
> At 07:09 PM 7/8/01 +1000, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>>Yup. Load comes from running *user* processes, not from the kernel.
>>
>>Given that iptables is completely in-kernel, it doesn't generate load
>>no matter how hard it's working. So, a load average of 0.00 means that
>>there isn't any software running on the machine.
>
> I've been thinking about that.
>
> How, then, DO you tell how hard the firewall rules are pressing a box?
> Compare RC5 scores with and without the firewall rules or something?
>
> "Hmm, I think we're being packeted... yeah, xfractint is jerking like
> crazy. Oops, no, never mind, that's me. Gotta cut down."

*grin*  You /should/ be able to see the load accounted for in "system"
space, but I am not sure if that's accurate or not. IIRC, some things in
interrupts were not accounted for correctly a while back.[1]

Something like xfractint would be the best bet. ;)

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  That's a hazy memory from a long time ago, though, folks, so don't
     put /too/ much faith in it.

--
It's a truism in technological development that
no silver lining comes without its cloud.