Re: your mail

Hi Tim,

It sounds to me like you're probably running Red Hat 7.1, but I'm not
exactly sure. Anyway, this is a Debian user list, and so you probably
won't find many RedHat users to help you out here with
distribution-specific questions.

Without intention of rudeness, I'll point out that your question
demonstrates MUCH ignorance on your part: as someone else has pointed
out, there is no such thing as Linux 7.1. I don't mean to be
insulting, but I want you to get the message that some self-education
will be required on your part to get the best experience -- you may
find some pretty trite responses to questions asked like you did.
Generally, you want to be as specific as possible and include as much
information as possible, so that people can know what you're talking
about and help you to try and understand and solve your problem.

With limited information, I'm going to have to make guesses as to your
situation. I'm thinking you mean that you were at some time in the
past running a masquerading host with a 2.2 kernel, and ftp connection
tracking was built as a module. To load it, you used insmod (or
modprobe) ip_masq_ftp. I don't know much about RedHat, but I'm
guessing they're now distributing a 2.4.x kernel, and you want the
same functionality out of your new system.

The short answer is "you want ip_conntrack_ftp.o". The long answer is
"if you're responsible for this machine, you should really do everyone
on the Internet a favor and do some reading, specifically about
netfilter. You can start at http://netfilter.samba.org/";

I'm sorry that I came off as somewht rude, but believe me I am trying
to help.

Vineet

* Tim (tim@optushome.com.au) [010703 12:20]: