From: Pann McCuaig [mailto:pann@ourmanpann.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 8:06 AM
To: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Adding a 2nd NIC (again)

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:22, Michael Boyd wrote:

> I managed to lay my hands on a 2nd 3Com 3c509b NIC at the end of last
> week and put it in my old 486 firewall.  When the machine boots it knows
> that eth0 and eth1 are NICs.  My question is, how do I assign an IP
> address to the 2nd card?  I modified the 'interfaces' file last night
> but that didn't seem to do it so I changed it back.

from /etc/network/interfaces
----------------------------
# ethernet to our private network
#
iface eth1 inet static
  address 192.168.1.1
  netmask 255.255.255.0
#  network 192.168.1.0
#  broadcast 192.168.1.255

from /etc/lilo.conf
append="ether=5,0x280,eth1"

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\