Re: Filtering SAMBA

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Stefan Srdic wrote:

> Soeren H wrote:
>
> Is there a host name resolution method that does not use broadcasts? Which one
> resolution method is preferred?

WINS doesn't use broadcast,but you should set up a WINS server, or
activate this service on smb.conf and point your Windows station to Samba
server ( in TCP/IP Properties-> WINS server ).

> I have all default chain policies set to accept, so broadcast should not be
> afected by any IPtables rules. Do you know which port/service that these Samba
> broadcast originate from?

I'm not sure 100% but that should be 192.168.x.x.137 -> 192.168.x.255.137
Source port and destination port are the same, 137 ( netbios-ns ).
I suggest to increase logging to see exactly if broadcast are permitted or
denied by your rules.

> Stef

Regards,

Florin