Re: using public ip addresses in DMZ: how to route in small subnet?

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 10:22:44PM -0700, Stan Kaufman wrote:
[snip]
> I've got five public ip addresses from my ISP (recently
> upgraded to PacBell's "enhanced" dsl account). I'm trying to
> set up a firewall topology like the "serious example" in the
> HOW-TO
> (http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO-7.html). (The
> main difference is that my "external" interface is not ppp0.)
>
> It certainly appears like my small subnet from PacBell
> (x.y.z.24/29) should work exactly like the example. Compared
> to the the HOW-TO:
[snip]

> I've got:
>
>    External Network (BAD) [gateway to ISP is x.y.z.25]
>             eth0|
>          ---------------
>          |   x.y.z.26  |             Server Network (DMZ)
>          |             |eth1
>          |             |----------------------------------------------
>          |             |x.y.z.27       |             |              |
>          |             |               |             |              |
>          |192.168.1.250|               |             |              |
>          ---------------          --------       -------        -------
>                 | eth2            | SMTP |       | WWW |        | other
> |
>                 |                 --------       -------        -------
>                 |                 x.y.z.28      x.y.z.29        x.y.z.30
>         Internal Network (GOOD) (ipmasqued)
>
> The Internal Network connects to the net fine, and I can ping
> between the DMZ and the Internal Network.
>
> However, just as others who have posted here, I can't get the
> DMZ outside. I can track a ping through the ipchains rules
> (from the Serious Example) out the dmz-bad chain, but I don't
> see anything coming back.
>
> I gather that the problem is not the ipchains rules but rather
> configuring the routing correctly given that the ip address of
> the "bad" interface is within the same subnet as the DMZ. Do I
> need to subnet my subnet? If so, how?
[snip]

If you subnet, you'll "lose" some IP addresses.  You could use
proxy arp instead.

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood@kingsley.co.za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies