Re: strange nat behaviour

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Michel Decima wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I'm using a linux box with netfilter to masquerade my home LAN
> and I have (very) strange behaviour whith some web sites: They
> are not reachable by the masqueraded workstation (but I can read
> them from the firewall). After the browser says 'connected to X'
> the connections stalls. I've checked the ECN feature, and it is
> not compiled in the kernel.

   This looks like an MTU problem. You may want to try to lower the MTU
on your workstation and see if it works better.

   I had the same problem here when I configured my desktop as a
firewall. I could access some web sites but not others, ftp dir would
work but not getting files, I could get some email but not all. I read
that it was because I use both pppoe and masquerading (still ipchains
here) because somewhere 8 bytes are added. Once I set the MTU on the
masqueraded machines to 1492 (or 1460) it worked fine.

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
                     Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.