Re: -m in iptables???

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 01:11:14PM +0200, Lars Hallberg wrote:
> I ben reading Linux 2.4 Packet Filtering HOWTO and the iptables
> manpage. In the howto and elsewhere the -m option is used, but I can't
> find what it means. Not in the howto, nether in the manpage.
>
> Is it just me or is it missing?
>
> If it?s missing, do someone know what it means?

It means match extension, and is used to load shared libraries. For example:
iptables -A INPUT --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
This is in the state library, so you'll get a no chain/target/match error.
But:
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
is OK, as it loads the state library beforehand.

Hope that helps :)

Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer
daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net