Re: Using socks4-clients with proxy at L.A. Free-Net (LAFN)

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 05:22:58PM -0700, Robert Cymbala wrote:

> In general, my goal is learning how to configure programs to
> use a proxy server at L.A. Free-Net (LAFN: www.lafn.org).  How
> do I get socks4-clients (rtfp, rtelnet, etc.) to work?  Any
> ideas please, given steps attempted below w/ Debian potato
> 2.2r2 (December 2000).  My ISP says to use "passive ftp mode,"
> however I haven't found documentation on how to do that (and I
> don't know what is meant by that).

"passive mode" just means that the client makes a connection to
the server for the command channel, and later makes connections
to the server for data channels.  In active mode, the command
channel works the same way, but the server makes connections
back to the client for the data channels.

For the normal command line FTP client, use
"ftp -p ftp.example.com" or type the "passive" command while
connected to an FTP server.  For GUI clients there's normally a
"firewall" configuration section that includes the
active/passive option.

> INSTALL PACKAGE:
>  ``apt-get install socks4-clients''
>       _________________________________________________________________
>    Release  Quality                Package (size)
>     stable    94%   socks4-clients 4.3.beta2-9   (81.3k)
>             Socks4 enabled clients as rtelnet, rftp, ...

The dante-client package can be used to socksify existing
clients, so you don't need to use special versions of your
clients (i.e. you can use the normal ftp, telnet, etc.)  I
couldn't say whether dante works better than the socks4-clients
package, but it supports socks5 too, so maybe it's worth trying.

[snip]
> GO-FOR-IT:
>    ``rtelnet mothra.syr.edu''
>    Trying 128.230.18.31...
>    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Run "tcpdump -n -i ppp0" while doing something like the above to
see what port it's trying to connect to.  You should see
connection attempts to port 1080 of the socks proxy.

[snip]
>   File Transfers (FTP)
>
>   File transfer is supported by LAFN through web servers (URLs
>   of the form ftp://...).  Direct file transfer is available
>   through the Socks server as described in the Chat, Banking
>   and other Low Bandwidth Services section below.  Note, you
>   must use the passive ftp mode so that your client opens the
>   data transfer ports.

$ export ftp_proxy=http://proxy.lafn.org:80/
$ lynx ftp://ftp.example.com/

or set up Netscape/Mozilla to use "proxy.lafn.org" as the proxy
on port 80.  As far as I know Netscape uses passive mode for FTP
by default.

Otherwise use a socksified ftp client and the passive command:

$ ftp ftp.example.com
220 ftp.example.com FTP server ready.
Name (ftp:michael): ftp
331 Password required for ftp.
Password:
230-Welcome to ftp.example.com.
230-
230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> passive
Passive mode on.