Re: newbie networking

The way I solved this on my home network, was setting up apache (Good
excuse for doing this and getting some experience with web-servers).
Then I created a cgi-script that gave computers on the local network the
opportunity to dial and hangup. (And ofcourse it told me the current
status (online/offline).

This solution works very well for me, since I don't need anything fancy
on the client computers. Just a normal web-browser.

Writing the cgi-script wasn't very hard. First I played with php and
made a working solution there. Then later a friend of mine who had
adopted the same solution made a much better one in perl, so I copied
his.

To make this work, you have to either give the user apache runs as
permissions to the dialup interface, or run the dial/hangup commands
using sudo.

--
Alf B Lervåg

eval $(echo "echo 02x405x1|sed s/0/8/g|_ 2 m|_ x \ |_ 4 \-|_ 5 f|_ 1 \/|_ 8 r"|sed s/_/tr/g)