Run Levels and Location of Firewall Scripts

Thanks for the replies to my last message.

Some of the replies have started me thinking that I have put my rule set
in the wrong place.  I made a dir. called /etc/rc.d and placed
rc.firewall in there.  Basically I was following the example in 'Linux
Firewalls'.  Is that wrong or Red Hat specific?  If so, is there a more
correct location?  Should I put it in /etc/init.d/<filename> and put a
link in /etc/rcN.d?  This brings me to the next question...

[I don't mean to go over ground you have already covered Mark, but your
reply went to debian-user  :-)    ]

Also, what run-level should my firewall run at and how do I control the
run level?

I am gradually getting the hang of this stuff but run levels are a bit
of a mystery at the moment!

Thanks

Mike