Re: routing

You are probably a former Suse user. Debian does not use route.conf file.
The route.conf holds static routes.

If your computer is a leaf node, e.g. only one nic, no forwarding, routin, etc.
You won't need /etc/route.conf. Just add your gateway ip-adress to /etc/network/interfaces.
See interfaces(5) for details.

You won't need static routes unless you have a complex network.

Kind regards,

Arjen Krap