Re: firewall and ip-masquerading

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:49:57AM -0600, Robert Guthrie wrote:
> Something that no one ever mentions as a response to this kind of question
> is the "ipmasq" package.
> Is there a reason people shy away from this, besides the lack of good
> documentation?

I'm currently using it at home on a small router box that works as
masqdialer server and is running on a 2.2.15 kernel, but I though about
doing away with it when I'm upgrading that box to a 2.4 kernel and iptables.

I'm using various different ISPs and therefore I'm getting different IPs for
each login.

ipmasq is called *after* each connect, and then it takes a few moments
(three to five seconds ?) to set up the masquerading for the new IP. That's
really annoying.

Is there any workaround for this ?

My understanding was that this is very easy to set up with iptables,
therefore I'm thinking about setting up a script on my own with iptables. Is
ipmasq performing better when used with iptables ?

    Gregor