Re: counteracting an attack?

Hi!

> That's what I do, too, but I'd like to be able to set up something
> more "real time", in the sense that I won't get to read nightly logs
> until the morning after, and by that time the scripy kiddies already
> are gone.

Script kiddies will not break a firewall that was set up and is maintained
properly. As long as there are thousands if not millions of unprotected red
hat boxes in the net, they will go for the easy prey.
But if you use an "intelligent" script - all gamers know that artificial
intelligence is a contradiction in terms - you can only do damage to the
poor fellow that ownes the forged ip. Secure your firewall and only use
scripts to alert you, never to do actual countermeasures.

my two pence,
Jörn