Transparent Proxying & Squid problems

I was playing over the weekend with transparent proxying & squid after
reading the many howto's etc. available online, but I've hit a weird
problem with it. I'm not sure if it's down to the way squid works, or
whether it's the transparent proxying (I doubt this one) or simply me
breaking something somewhere (likely). I don't know if it's relevant but
the machine 'only' has 16 MB RAM.
Using netscape pointing directly at the webcache everything works
perfectly. However, going 'direct' so that the transparent proxying
pushes the request to squid, what seems to happen is that squid
downloads the file completely to its own cache _before_ pushing it onto
the client. Using 'telnet host.machine 80' seems to back this up - no
data appears for several seconds, but then it all comes through in one
burst. Any ideas?

(The box is running potato, latest 2.2 kernel available in the potato
archives, nothing unusual about it really)

Cheers,

Gareth