Re: windows access to linux server modem

Hi

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 09:08:32AM -0500, mheyes@lincolnfp.com wrote:
> I have a windows client connected to a Linux server and need
> to enable the client to access the server modem. I've been
> told about a program called FacetWin and DialOut/IP, but are
> there any open source solutions that would work as well?

If you just want the Windows box to be able to cause the Linux
box to dial up to the 'Net so you can download web pages/e-mail
etc., you can install diald on the linux box.  This will cause
the Linux box to dial out whenever it notices the Windows box
trying to connect to things outside the local network.

You could also try something like the MasqDialler (sp?)  Search
for Masq on freshmeat.  There is a MASQ dialler server written
in C that you can install on the Linux box and a Winmc (Windows
MasqDialler client) you can install on the Windows box to tell
the Linux box when to dial.

I think there are one or two other packages similar to
MasqDialler, although I wouldn't be able to tell you where to
find them.

Otherwise, you could install an ssh client (e.g. putty) on the
Windows box so you can log into the Linux box from there and use
the normal pon/poff commands to connect.

If you want to "control" the modem from the Windows box, so that
the Windows box thinks the modem is directly connected to it
instead of in the Linux box, I don't know of any Open
Source/Free Software solutions.

Hope that helps :)

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/