Re: newbie networking

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 09:31:34AM -0500, mheyes@lincolnfp.com wrote:
> I am just beginning to learn about networking and have a couple of
> questions I hope someone can help me with or point me in the right
> direction. I have just setup a small ethernet and is basically functioning.
> The server has a modem connection to the internet, and I have ipmasq setup
> and running on it. The user box is able to connect to the internet without
> any problem, provided that the server box is dialed in and connected.
>
> I would like to be able to have the user box be able to make the dialup
> connection using the modem on the server. Can this be done with a minimum
> of security risk? What else do I need to configure to make this happen?:
> enable login and shell services in the /etc/inetd.conf file, modify
> /etc/hosts.allow, etc. on the server.

I don't understand exactly what you mean.

have it so a user on the client can initiate the ppp connection on
the server?

You could do this pretty easily so its from a single command to
start/stop, just setup rsa authentication with nullphrase
certificates. and sudo on the server, so he'd be running something
like..

ssh server.domain sudo poff

see relevant documentation for details.