UDP Forwarding & Ipchains

Hey.. I have Ipchains setup with the strong ruleset, and masqing.
I want to host Delta Force Land Warrior games on an internal machine.
I will be using 3 ports (udp only) for this until I determine what of
those I do not require. :)

I add an ipmasqadm portfw line after my ipchains for each port.
This alone does not work, so I Accept for each port in input, output,
and forward rules.
This also does not work.
So I open up the outgoing for each port ALL 3 rules.
This works.
Why do I need to open the outgoing, shouldn't
my MASQ line cover that?

A incoming connection goes through Input, Forward, then Output,
correct? What would be the route for outgoing, the same?

ps... And what is DMZ?
  :P