Re: Firewall on a debian Box.

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 erich@mucl.de wrote:

> This cannot be done by pure arp tricks.

Yes, it canbe done, although it is tricky. I know it can, since I have
exactly such a setup, and it works very well now, although it was a real
pain in the ass to set up.

> you need a complete bridge and you want to do firewalling (wheres the bridge
> included in the kernel does not packte-filter!)

The bridge included in 2.4.x kernels is well integrated with the
firewalling code, and you can easily set up rules to filter traffic going
through the bridge. There are also some patches available for recent 2.2.x
kernels that enable them to filter packets going through the bridge. I do
not remember the URL, though.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, gmulas@tiscalinet.it>

OSSERVATORIO  ASTRONOMICO
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)