Re: Re: NTP secure

One disadvantage of running ntpdate is that it "blindly" believes the one
server it contacts, whereas a ntp server can "watch" a couple of servers
and ignore the "insane" ones.  Also running NTP long term will calibrate
its software PLL such that when you lose contact with the external world,
the server already has a nice complicated equation that "knows" the system
clock is 44.02341 ppm slow and will attempt to correct it accordingly,
which will give you pretty accurate time during the outage.

Two areas of thought:

One is what kind of accuracy do you need.  Where I work we need to compare
recorded outages and alarms with other companies.  It helps alot if both
us and "them" have identical clocks.  Thus we need to run NTP externally,
like it or not, we have to.  On the other hand, if the only reason you
want to run time sync software is the "too lazy to set the clock" effect,
then don't bother running it, because the time spent setting it up and
maintaining it would likely exceed the gain, other than the "coolness"
effect.

Another area of thought is the security issue.  DOS attacks on NTP are
pretty irrelevant, because if you need accurate time you'll be monitoring
the NTP server, and will quickly detect and fix denial of services
attacks, yet if you don't need accurate time and you lose NTP, then by
definition it doesn't matter anyway.  Noone sells NTP as a service (?) so
if it doesn't work noone outside the I.S. dept will care anyway.  The
other area is what damage can be done by generally messing around with
NTP, and although I've hardly audited the code myself, it seems as though
theres almost nothing that could be done by some kind of exploit,
considering that its UDP based and has plenty of code to deal with
"insane" clocks anyway.

I guess the best way to determine if ntp is too "insecure" is to compare
the number of exploits based on NTP vs the number of sendmail or MS IIS
exploits...

----- Forwarded by Vince Mulhollon/Norlight on 10/09/2000 09:16 AM -----

Matthew Whitworth <matthew@okcomputer.org>
10/09/2000 09:02 AM