Re: getting mail through a masq'd server times out on larger email

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:58:18PM -0500, Blaine Lee wrote:
> Currently manually called network setup:
> /sbin/depmod -a
> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
> /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
> /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

On a 2.2.x kernel you really should be using ipchains.  In fact, if I
were you I would install the "ipmasq" package which will handle the
firewalling and masquerading for you with a reasonably good set of
default rules.

> When I watch pppstats it appears that when netscape begins it gets full
> bandwidth ~3k/s, then in between 5-25 sec it drops way down, usually 0
> except for a few hits.

Are you sure the problem is with your router?

Have you tried the same experiment using different client machines,
and/or from different networks (i.e., ones that do not use this machine
as their gateway)?

--

Jim B.
vader@conflict.net