FW: Data Piping

-----Original Message-----
From: Graf, Christian
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 5:40 PM
To: Graf, Christian
Subject: RE: Data Piping

I'm sorry,

but I deleted an email from one of the guyse who asked me directly. So I'm
answering direct.
The goal was to use a linux-machine, attached with 2 dsl-interfaces to give
wan-access to an local network. A problem was to loadbalance the traffic
between those two dsl-interfaces.

At least I have got two solutions for it.
1) download the gated-routing daemon. This daemon should policy-based
routing and should be free. I have never tried it on linux, but other guys
told me, that this is a cool daemon.

2) buy some hardware. First actual routers are really cheap. The times a
router was about 250.000US$ is far away. You can get today layer 3/4
switches (new term for routers) with 16 10/100 Ports fully routed for less
then 10.000US$. Those machine do a much better and faster job than our
linux-machines. Take a layer 4 switch with a feature called policy-routing.
Policy routing overrides the local route-table in the way you want it.

design

divide the one linux-machine with two interfaces to two linuxmachines with
only one interface. connect a router to both betwenn the local net. Here I
don't talk about nat and those things. But in this scenario I think the
linux-machines do the nat already. (ofcourse the layser 4 switch should be
able to do static and dynamic nat, overload, ...)

dsl - linux 1----
			layer4 ---- local net
dsl - linux 2----

so what is the clue of the layer 4 switch. you could use the policy-routing
to divide traffic (ftp to linux1, http to linux2) and do a loadbalancing in
this fashion. Important: the layer 4 switch should be able to switch over
all traffic to one interface if the second will fail and should
automatically load-balance again, when it is back again.
A second way of loadbalancing is using a gate-list. The layer4 switch uses
then 2 default gateways (linux 1 and linux2) and you can tell him, if
- only one is usedr and the second one is standby
- both are used for REAL loadsharing

and when loadsharing: if one fails redirect all traffic to the one which is
still running

hope this helps

christian

p.s. there are whitepapers available