Re: harden-debian script?

> user home directories (IMHO) should have the permissions 700.
>
> After I install new debian boxes the permissions are always something
> like 755. This is bad in my opinion, for a multiuser box. On firewalls,
> however, there should be very few people logging in at all and then only
> to administer the box, not to read mail or anything like that. Therefore
> this isn't much of an issue for firewall installs.
>
> Does anyone know why debian has such lax perms on home dirs?

This seems to be determined in the adduser command, where I found the
line:

482:    my $default_dir_mode = 0755;

There doesn't seem to be any way to configure this other than editing the
code.

While I'm interested in the problem, I have to say I would rather see this
configurable in /etc/adduser.conf or from the command line rather than
hard coded at 0700 or any other value.

Cheers!

Matthew

matthew whitworth