Re: What can the vanila debian potato kernel do?

Read the kernel-config file at
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/idepci/
(if you're using the idepci kernel, otherwise, look up a directory) to see
what's compiled in.  Usually, my advice for upgrades to mission-critical boxen
is "if it works, don't fix it" unless you have a problem that you need to
upgrade to fix or a feature that you need.  However, with Debian, it shouldn't
be too bad to upgrade, so I would be hesitant about saying that.