Re: Install Report

In a message dated 8/2/00 2:18:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jens@unfaehig.de
writes:

> > Cannot overemphasize importance of firewall when running site on DSL.
>
>  Why? What is special in DSL?
>
>  (followup to debian-firewall@lists.debian.org)

bc. you are on a domain subnet.  EVERY other connection (like the ISPs total
cuatomer base) can download free netadmin software and run it in promiscuous
mode (it lets anybody "in"/"on") to then receive the grand scheme of the
grand stream of ALL packets that enter that subnet.There are more than a few
stream editor etc. tools out there to enter expressions etc. to
start/stop/control a packet collection that just happens to be your traffic,
specifically.  They can see all of exactly what you see/send/receive (back
orifice gives them TOTAL control of your computer, even while you use it and
especially after you use it).

Don't take my word for it.  Look about you.  DSL "requires" you "participate"
with complete security, state of the art, up to the minute.  Every net access
(in/out) needs full best of breed encryption/decryption, not just a firewall.

Regards,

JimcDTWlst

P.S.

There may be technical incorrectness in my description above, but those who
can refute any of the above points may have to admit that any point they
counter with will likely be shown to be quite debatable by their own peers.