Re: Linux firewall vs. other products

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:32:41 +0200 (CEST), Rickard Lind wrote:

[...]
>The typical example of why you would need a proxy is
>FTP: the client opens a "control" connection
>(typically on port 21) and sends an address and port
>to the server on which the server opens a "data"
>connection to send the file(s). A "mere" packet filter
>cannot handle this which I believe is why the Linux
>kernel has a FTP module to handle this. I'm not sure

This is correct. It works pretty well, I used to use the FTP IP masquerading
module for quite some time, and had only smallish problems.

>list; I've been thinking of putting together a
>Debian-based proxying firewall (or preferably a
>"Router/Firewall" option in the Debian installation)

This sounds like a great idea. I'm using a Debian box as a router and
firewall, and it would probably helped me much if such an option had existed.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\