Re: minimal mail config for firewall?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 09:42:39AM -0400, Paul Reavis wrote:
> What would y'all recommend as a minimal mail setup for a firewall
> system. Quite a few things seem to depend on _some_ sort of MTA, but I
> don't want SMTP (I'm redirecting SMTP to an internal mail server).

You are probably looking for ssmtp
 A secure, effective and simple way of getting mail off a system to your
 mailhost. No suid-binaries or other dangerous things. No mail spool to poke
 around in. No daemons running in the background. Mail is simply forwarded
 to the configured mailhost. Extremely easy configuration.
 WARNING: the above is all it does. It does not receive mail, expand
 aliases or manage a queue.  That belongs on a mailhub with a system

> On a related note, does anyone have any good schemes for getting logs
> off a firewall reasonably securely, so they can show up in your email? I
> hate having to constantly log in to check them, but feel that just
> email/fetchmail out from the machine is chancy.

Depends on your exact mail setup, I think. Maybe make a script that would
download the logs to some other box using scp and mail them locally then to
your account's mailbox. If you're downloading mail via POP to some other
box, you may do it via an ssh tunnel.

+--------------------------------+ The reason we come up with new versions