RE: Intrusion Detection

While all of the aforementioned tools *do* actually perform IDS, they have
all been host based, in the case of tripwire they are looking for modified
files (reconfigs, rootkits) and will generally tell you *way too late*
meaning after your host has already been compromised.

The closest thing to BlackIce would be either Snort (see
http://host22-107.prestige.net/) this is a temporary web site.

or

Abacus PortSentry.  (should be at http://www.psionic.com but its down)

Both of these tools will warn you when you are being probe on certain
ports, portscanned, or in the case of snort (when a certain type of buffer
overflow, etc) is launched against your box, assuming there is a signature
for it.

Packet Storm security has all these tools and much much more.
http://packetstorm.securify.com