Re: Denial of service

I agree with the statement about a firewall on the outbound links and  strong host security for your systems as the most imporatant things sys-ads can do to prevent these problems.   After having some of UUNet's West Coast links down last night (I suspect this was due to distributed DOS attacks, but don't know that)  I did a little poking around to see what was available.

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-01.html talks about distributed DOS tools.  Has some links to detection tools.

 http://www.fbi.gov/nipc/trinoo.htm  Binary for detecting ddos apps.

  http://www.washington.edu/People/dad/  Dave Dittrich page.  Has c source for detecting some of the ddos agents as well as articles about them in the Papers/Articles/Reports section.

Wade

Brian Wolfe wrote:

        The best thing you can do as a service provider is place a firewall on your outbound links and make sure all packets are legit. 2nd. review your own lan to make sure it can't be used as a smurf magnifier.

        Brian Wolfe
        TerraBox.com