Re: Port forwarding

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 02:06:01PM +0100, Fitsch wrote:
> > Perhaps you try something wrong, or I don't understand your setup. In
> > common Port Forwarding is used to redirect traffic from the outside to
> > an internal host behind your firewall. (e.g. webserver) this internal
> > host may have an adress from the private space.

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. I tried this with masq. on and out
but the problems are the same.

> > When you specify the IP-Adresses, Source and Destination must be
> > adresses on different machines, not of different nic's in one machine.

Right. I used as IP addresses the outside address of my firewall and the
address of my server in my internal net.

> > If you have a strict policy on your firewall you have to allow this
> > traffic, better you create an seperate chain for portforwarded traffic
> > from the outside to the inside.

I even tried with all traffic allowed through.

> > For traffic from the inside to the outside you don't need Port
> > Forwarding, as this is handled by Masquerading or normal routing.

Yes, but I also get backward traffic after connecting from the outside. For
instance inetd tried to connect to teh auth service to check who is trying
to connect. The problem I had with outbound traffic though was with the
packets send back in the connection established from the outside.

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!