Re: config replication

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 12:05:38PM -0500, Paul Tod Rieger wrote:
> (This may be more of a sysadmin question, so feel free to email me of
> the list and I'll summarize.)
>
> Once I have one machine set up the way I like it, is there a fairly
> automated way to set up more just like it (other than the name and IP
> addresses)?  A How-To?
>
> I've used dselect (with apt as the access method) to trim things down.
> Although dselect is better than anything I've used on other OSes, I'd
> rather not have to configure the other machines "by hand" with it....
>
> Thanks for any help!

If you're just talking about dselect choices, you can use these dpkg
  dpkg --get-selections [<pattern> ...]    get list of selections to stdout
  dpkg --set-selections                    set package selections from stdin

This will let you export your selections from one box, and import them
on any others.

If you copy the contents of /var/lib/debconf from that machine to the
others after you finish installing that machine, all packages that use
debconf configuration will get the preexisting config answers you
copied over.

The only real problem will be any hand-edited config files you have.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.