Re: neighbor table overflow?

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Phill Kenoyer wrote:

> Funny thing is, this happens on every systems I've tried it on.  I have
> available to me lots of systems.  I've used Intel, Tulip, and ne2000 NICs.

This sounds like an incompatibility between your slackware setup and
those done in other distributions.  I've installed two gateway
systems, one similar to the one you're talking about, the other was a
modem dialup gateway.  Slackware's a weird creature, as are all
distributions when it comes down to it.

Now, on this system, do you use the same network cards?  Are they the
same brand and use the same kernel driver?  Are both network cards
recognized?  Are they pci or isa?  PNP?  Have you tried to activate
one card at a time?  I'm sorry, but we just haven't gotten enough
information about exactly where in your installation process that
Debian fails.  Please give us a little more detail about what works on
the system and what doesn't.

A hint on the Debian installation.  Bypass dselect.  It just places
too many unnecessary packages on your system that you'll either never
use or have to delete later.  Exit out of dselect when the
installation process puts you into it.  Then use apt-get to install
packages individually -- remember that apt-get installs the nessary
packages to satisy dependency issues, just like dselect.  Plus, this
will remove some variables from the equation when debugging your
installation.  In your case, I'd simply install the base system, then
debug stuff.

If you want a ready-made ipmasquerading solution, install the package
'ipmasq'.  It will read your network setup, determine the internal and
external cards, and install the necessary ipchains rules to get ipmasq
running.  Then install your own flavor of ipmasq (I made my own
/etc/init.d/firewall.sh script) at a later time.

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html